The big issue going on in Austin TX right now is with Austin Energy. Austin Energy is wanting to raise our rates to ridiculous amounts. Personally, this really frustrates me. Why? Because Austin Energy is all about conserving energy here and conserving energy there. Conserve as much energy as possible, but, now people aren't using enough energy and Austin Energy is making less money, so let's raise the rates!
Does that sound fair? Conserving energy should also be about saving money. When you conserve, you aren't wasting, meaning you arean't using, meaning you shouldn't be penalized for saving. Austin Energy has taken a completely different stance. Many areas of Texas are deregulated. That means, you can pick whichever power company you want. Parts of the suburbs in the Austin TX area are also deregulated, but not all.
I live in Bee Cave TX and have no deregulation choices. I have to use Austin Energy. They know this, so they feel we're going to pay no matter what. And we're going to pay more because we're in a suburb.
However, there is a petition going around for home owners to sign. If you're in the Austin area and forced to use Austin Energy, I urge you to find out more information, and pass this along to your neighbors and co-workers. The below came from my HOA Management Company in an email.
PETITIONS DUE JULY 31
Virtually everywhere in Texas, electric rates are falling. But on June 7, the Austin City Council passed the largest electric rate INCREASE in the history of Austin Energy.
· Typical annual electric bill increases in the suburbs will be 20 – 30%!
· The new rates include a 5-tier “progressive” rate structure that discriminates against suburban homeowners. Suburban ratepayers will pay rates as much as 50% above cost. Meanwhile vast numbers of city ratepayers will have below-cost electricity.
· Your Austin Electric bill includes a 15% hidden tax – money that is transferred to the City of Austin and spent on items unrelated to the utility.
· We have a legal remedy. The signatures of only 2700 suburban Austin Energy households are required to force Austin Energy to justify its discriminatory and punitive electric rate plan before the state Public Utility Commission. The PUC can then determine if AE’s rates and practices need to be fixed.
Homeowners United for Rate Fairness is a registered 501(c)4 non-profit corporation formed by suburban Austin homeowners to fight the Austin Energy rate plan passed June 7. More information is available at their website http://www.hurf.org/.
**Are You Packed Yet?**
Austin TX Real Estate and the surrounding areas of Lakeway, Bee Cave, West Lake Hills, CedarPark, Round Rock, Spicewood, Circle-C, Steiner Ranch, and everywhere in between... Hill Country Austin TX Real Estate and beyond. Whether you're buying or selling an Austin home, I'll be with you every step of the way.
** Multi-Million Dollar Producer Year after Year **
** Platinum Top 50 Finalist 2011 out of almost 9000 agents in Austin TX**
** Five-Star Professional 2011 & 2012 **
** RE/MAX 100% Club **
Copyright© 2012 By Donna Harris, All Rights Reserved. You may re-blog with links back to this post.
* Austin Energy to Raise Rates - Sign the Austin Energy Petition * was first published on donnahomesblog.com.