The State Fair of Texas opened this weekend and will run until October 19th. It's always a lot of fun at the fair as there are so many things to do, for all ages. Best of all, you can eat anything fried that you thought was imaginable. This year's winning food was chicken friend bacon. They say it's bacon that has been dipped in flour and batter a couple of times, and then deep fried and tastes just like chicken fried steak. A little to fried if you ask me.
Do you like fried pickles? Fried coke? Fried mac ‘n cheese? Fried cheese? Fried Cookie Dough? Fried anything... The State Fair of Texas is where the Corny Dog was invented! Personally, I think they're gross, but millions of others don't. My favorite is the Funnel Cake! Yes, it's just like pancake batter that is moved back and forth into a criss-crossing design, but when sprinkled with powered sugar, it tastes nothing like a pancake!
Here are some fun facts about the State Fair:
- 80 acres were purchased in 1886 by the committee for the Dallas State Fair.
- Approximately 14,000 people attended the opening day of the first fair on these grounds with a total of 100,000 over the full 13 days.
- In February of 1887, the Dallas State Fair united with a rival Fair, and also purchased more land to total 117 acres.
- 1894 is the opening of the Midway for games and prizes.
- Fire destroys everything in 1902 and Dallas buys the property for $125k in 1904.
- The Texas State Fair re-organizes in 1905 to become a non-profit corporation known as today's State Fair of Texas.
- In 1916, attendance tops 1 million visitors.
- In 1918, the US Army takes control of Fair Park and the fair is canceled that year.
- 1929 is the first Texas vs Oklahoma game.
- Fair Park Stadium, later renamed to the Cotton Bowl is started in 1930.
- No Fair from 1942-1946 though other activities continued, and ‘42 is the summer of the corny dog.
- 1952 is when Big Tex makes his first State Fair debut.
- 1960 is when the Dallas Texans (AFL) and the Dallas Cowboys (NFL) play in the Cotton Bowl. (The Dallas Texans moved to Kansas City in 1963 and the Cowboys to Irving in 1971)
- 1985 is when the 212 foot Ferris Wheel (the tallest in North America) is used for the first time.
- 2003 is the First Annual World Corny Dog Championship- the winner eat 12 in 10 minutes.
- And in 2008, Big Tex received new clothes, and the drycleaning bill for the entire outfit runs $600.
You can go here for some more fun facts, and I only hit the highlights that I found to be the most interesting.